Try this simple pasta recipe with curly Kale stir-fry. It’s easy, quick, tasty and healthy. It can be a start for you to introduce the taste of this famous green Kale to your family.
The last few years we see green curly Kale becoming more and more popular. The health benefits that this green leaves offer have been one of the reason its popularity.
But many of us don’t know how to cook it (I didn’t 😊) . Especially, when you have to cook it for your family with young children. It’s not easy to find a recipe idea to cook curly Kale interesting enough for kids. Because whether we admit it or not, young kids are generally not keen with vegetables. Not all of them. But many of them.
So, finding a way to cook this fabulously beneficial for health curly Kale was a challenge for me. Because, my two boys can be unpredictable when it comes to eating vegetables. Sometimes they like a certain type of veggie, other times they refuse and just want to stick to their protein, aka chicken or lamb 🙄.
Whenever I want to introduce something new to them, I have to make sure that I cook it with an ingredient or two that my kids like. So, when I tried to cook curly Kale for the first time, I decided to cook it with one of their favorite carbs which is pasta. I also added Broccoli in it, because the kids are normally “okay” with Broccoli.
Since it was the first time for me to cook this curly Kale, I tried to make things simple. Especially the flavor. I thought I wanted to get the Kale’s flavor as “original” as I can by not putting too many spices or herbs. So, I decided only to put garlic, chili flakes, salt and black pepper. And I use olive oil for this stir-fry. That’s all.
I was sooo ready to see my kids refusing to eat this pasta with the curly Kale, that I was sooooooo happy when they ate it all and actually enjoyed it. My little one even commented that “it’s the most delicious pasta he ever tasted”….and I thought “whaaaaaat??”
Since then, this pasta with stir-fry curly Kale has become one of my go-to recipes when I want the kids to eat healthy greens. Mind you, my husband and I enjoy it too anyway. So it’s such a bliss for me to cook this since it doesn’t take long to make and everybody will definitely appreciate it.
The Kale leaves are quite thick if you compare to other veggie leaves. So, to make sure it’s cooked properly, I steam-cooked the Kale first for about 5-10 minutes. Then I put in the Broccoli 3 minutes towards the end. So the broccoli will be a bit crispy rather than soft. But of course you can cook it longer if you prefer it soft.
So, go on try this recipe and let me know your verdict 😄. I truly hope you’ll like it as much as we do.
Simple Pasta With Curly Kale And Broccoli Stir-fry
- wok or frying pan
- chopping board
- pasta strainer or colander
- 2 cups Brocolli chunks from ± 300 gr broccoli head
- 150 grams Green Kale, roughly chopped/ sliced You can put a bit more if the small bag you bought has more
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500 grams dry pasta
- 1 tsp dry red chili flakes (optional) You can skip this if you're not keen. Or you can put more if you prefer 😊. I sometimes put more if I want a bit more heat kick.
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt And a bit more for the stir-fry according to your taste
- Coarse Black Pepper According to taste
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil And more for a little drizzle before serving
- Boil the pasta according to packet instruction
- In the meantime, fry the garlic on the pan until fragrant. Then add in chili flakes if you use them. Fry about 1 minute longer.
- Next, you put in the kale and steam-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the broccoli in and season the veggies with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Cook further for about 3 minutes or according to how you soft you want the veggies to be.
- By this time, your pasta should be ready. Strain the pasta and add it into the veggies. Stir and mix everything. Turn the heat off. Drizzle a little bit more olive oil and serve.
- This pasta dish is tasty to enjoy while it’s hot during cold days. But, it’s delish to have it cold in hot summer days that it makes it ideal for packed lunch or picnic. Buon Appetito!