Savoury dish of sweet potato
The first-time I tried sweet potato dauphinoise, I fell in love with the dish straight away. It’s so flavoursome and tasty to go with meaty dishes such as roast lamb or chicken. And of course with plenty of veggie trimmings i.e. roasted parsnips, green beans, Brussels sprouts, etc. In other words, will all those lovely festive roast menu.
Before then, I didn’t know that a humble sweet potato can turn into a posh elegant looking savoury dish like Dauphinoise. Or any savoury dish really. Sorry, potato 😃.
Because, where I’m from (Indonesia) this root vegetable is very popular for sweet dishes. Mainly desserts. And cakes. Maybe because its natural taste is quite sweet. And I was born and bred in Indonesia, and lived there for decades before I fled to the UK. Just kidding. I didn’t flee. I simply relocated due to marriage 😊.
So yeah, I never came across Indonesian savoury dish made of sweet potato.
Time and energy saving
Anyway, I was quite intrigued with this Sweet Potato Dauphinoise when one of my husband’s nieces made for us at one of our family gatherings.
When she told me how to make it, it sounds very easy. But, time consuming. Well, I mean the cooking time in the oven takes about an hour 😳. For me, that can be classified as time and energy wasting. On top of that, I only have 2-rack-oven. So when I do family roast dinner, there’s simply no space for this delicious Sweet Potato Dauphinoise in the oven.
After the main roasts i.e. lamb or chicken, and vegetables, I’ll have no room at all for a Dauphinoise in my oven.
So, I tried to shortcut the cooking method by using the microwave. And it worked!
How long to cook sweet potato in a microwave?
It shouldn’t take longer than to cook white potatoes.
When I tried to make Dauphinoise in the microwave, I wasn’t sure how long I should cook the sweet potato in it.
But it normally takes me 10 minutes to make Jacket (white) Potato of medium size in microwave. So I thought I’d have a go with similar time for sweet potato. Besides, I can always cook longer if I need to, right?
To make the Dauphinoise, I cook sweet potatoes twice. First, I cook them on their own for 10 minutes. And the second time, I cook them with heavy cream/ double cream for about 7 minutes.
After the first cooking time, the sweet potatoes were actually cooked. The second cooking time is more for the cream to get absorbed by the softened sweet potatoes.
Microwave Sweet Potato Gratin
This tasty recipe is very easy to make. Not only it is simple to do, it’s also cheap and cheerful.
For a large oval dish enough for 5-6 people, it only costs me less than a fiver. At the time of writing, I only spent about $3 for this dauphinoise.
The reason it was quite cheap, because I only had to buy two main ingredients. Sweet potatoes and double cream. The rest of the ingredients are just things I always have in my kitchen.
Also, I simplified the recipe so that my kids will like it. At times, I don’t use any herbs like many other recipes may use. But of course you can put herbs if you like.
I come across several similar recipes that use Rosemary, Thyme, Sage or even Oregano.
I personally prefer Sage for this dish. Maybe because the first time I tried the dish, it had Sage in it. Also, because it doesn’t have as strong fragrance as the other herbs. But feel free to put your favourite herb though.
You only need about 1 teaspoon chopped fresh herbs of your choice. You can also use dried herbs. But make sure you go easy with dried ones, as they have stronger fragrance. I would put ¼ teaspoon of dried herbs.
Ingredients for microwave sweet potato dauphinoise:
- 2 lbs/ 900 gr Sweet potatoes
- 10.5 oz/ 300 ml Heavy cream/ Double cream
- 2 tbsp of butter and more to grease the dish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Herbs of your choice
- Slice the sweet potatoes (you can use a mandolin cutter if you have) and arrange them in a greased dish.
- Cut the butter in small chunks and scatter them over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle the chopped fresh herbs or dried herbs over the potato slices.
- Put the dish in the microwave and cover it with a microwave plate cover. Cook the potatoes for 10 minutes at high (180° C/ 356° F).
- After 10 minutes , the potatoes are almost fully cooked.
- Then take the dish out and pour the cream over the sweet potatoes. It should cover ⅓ deep of the Gratin.
- Put the dish back in microwave and cook further for about 7-10 minutes until the cream thickened and sweet potatoes thoroughly cooked.
- Try to slice the potatoes at the same thickness. I normally aim to cut in 0.08 in/ 2 mm thick.
- When it comes to cooking, it’s best to experiment the ingredients according to your taste 😉. Things like herbs can be experimental and personal. So, choose the herbs that you like or don’t use herbs at all if you don’t like it. Just challenge your own taste bud and just use the recipe as your guidance.
- As I explained above, this microwave sweet potato Gratin is nice as a side dish for your roast menu. But I personally find it delicious to eat it on its own.
Cheap And Cheerful Microwave Sweet Potato Dauphinoise
- A microwave proof dish e.g. Pyrex, etc
- chopping board
- Mandolin slicer (optional)
- 900 gr Sweet Potatoes Slice equally, approx. 2 mm thick.
- 300 ml Double Cream
- 2 tbsp Butter Chop in small chunks. And extra to grease the dish.
- Sea salt 2-3 turns of salt grinder
- Black pepper 2-3 turns of black pepper grinder
- 1 tsp Chopped fresh herbs of your choice Sage, Rosemary or Thyme (check the tips above)
- Slice the sweet potatoes in equal thickness. Arrange them in a greased microwave-proof dish.
- Scatter the butter chunks all over the sweet potato slices.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the herbs on the potatoes, if you use.
- Cook the sweet potatoes in microwave at high (180° C/ 356° F) for 10 minutes.
- Then pour the cream over.
- Put the dish back in microwave and cook again for about 7-10 minutes until the cream bubbled and thickened.